Very often, significant performance benefits can be obtained by using some very basic knowledge of the application, its data and business rules. Sometimes even less than that: even if you are not familiar with the application logic at all, you can still use common sense to make some reasonable guesses that would get you a long way in improving query’s performance. Here is an example (based on an actual query that I had to tune today).
Occasionally one might want to know what a segment is made of in terms of block types. For example, you notice that the number of blocks in an index segment is somewhat larger than the number of branch and leaf blocks, and wonder what kind of blocks accounts for the difference. The only way to do this is by dumping index blocks (e.g. as described in Richard Foote’s blog here). Dumping blocks is easy, but analyzing them — not so much. Sure, there exists a plethora of tools that allow to parse text from the OS side (awk, perl, sed and whatnot), but this leads to usual problems: OS access, scripting skills, certain platforms may not have the scripting tool you’re most comfortable with, and even more importantly: scripts cannot do cool stuff that Oracle can (like joining data to other data) . Fortunately, those difficulties can be circumvented by using regexp + external files as I already posted in my blog here. This time, I’d like to show how this technique can be adjusted for index block dumps.
Log buffer space is a simple, yet frequently misunderstood wait event. The main reason for that is probably its name. It sounds as if it points immediately to the answer: if space in the log buffer is the issue, then increasing it surely should resolve it. Well, unfortunately even though log buffer space is simple, it’s not that simple.
Continue reading “Log buffer space”
In my recent post I showed how log file sync (LFS) and log file parallel write (LFPW) look for normal systems. I think it would also be interesting to compare that to the situation when LGWR does not have enough CPU.
I happen to have collected LGWR and database-level trace files for a 220.127.116.11 database on a Solaris 10 server which was under serious pressure (50 threads mostly inserting and committing data, only 32 CPUs). The AWR showed significant OS_CPU_WAIT_TIME (comparable to BUSY_TIME and much larger than IDLE_TIME) so I know for sure that CPU was an issue. And here is what LFS and LFPW histograms plotted from the trace file (as described here) looked like:
SQL trace file provide the highest level of detail possible about SQL execution. The problem with that information is converting it to a convenient format for further analysis. One very good solution is parsetrc tool by Kyle Hailey written in Perl. It gives high-resolution histograms, I/O transfer rates as a function of time, and other very useful info. Unfortunately, I myself am not a Perl expert, so it’s a bit difficult for me to customize this tool when I need something slightly different from defaults (e.g. change histogram resolution, look at events not hardcoded into the script etc.). Another limitation is that since the tool is external to the database, you can’t join the data anything else (like ASH queries). So I found another solution for raw trace file analysis: external tables + regexp queries.
Occasionally I encounter a situation when I need to affect a part of the plan that corresponds to a view, e.g.:
select * from ( select v.x, x.y from v ) q where q.x = 1
Such situations are resolved using global hints. Oracle offers two ways to specify a global hint: via a query block identifier (system generated or user defined) or via view aliases. System-generated query block identifiers can be obtained via dbms_xplan.display with ALL or ALIAS option (they have the form SEL$n, where n appears to be same as the depth, e.g. in our case 1 corresponds to the main query, 2 to the inline view, 3 to the view V inside that inline view) or defined by the user via qb_name hint.
In general, tuning analytic functions (and more generally, all sort operations) is rather difficult. While for most poorly performing queries it’s relatively straightforward to gain some improvements by applying “eliminate early” principle one way or another, for slow sort operations it’s rarely applicable. Usually options are limiting to rewriting a query without analytics (e.g. using self-joins or correlated subqueries to achieve the same goal) or manually resizing the workarea to reduce/eliminate the use of disk. Recently, however, I had a case where I managed to obtain an excellent performance gain using a different technique that I would like to share in this post.
The original query was selecting about 100 columns using the LAG function on one of the columns in the WHERE clause, but in my test case I’ll both simplify and generalize the situation. Let’s create a table with a sequential id, three filtering columns x, y and z, and 20 sufficiently lengthy columns.